The Mattimiro Family Pizzelle Recipe
by Barb Kraft
Pizzelles are a traditional Italian waffle cookie, most often baked in an electric press similar to a waffle iron.
Choose one of the following four flavors and add the appropriate ingredients:
- 12 eggs
- 3 ½ c. sugar
- 2 c. oil
- 1 t. vanilla
- 6 c. flour
- 1/4 t. salt
- 2 T. lemon extract
- 2 T. orange extract
- orange zest
- 1/2 c. cocoa powder
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 2 T. coconut extract
- chopped toasted coconut (if desired)
- Simply mix the ingredients in a large bowl, and bake in a pizzelle press. I own two presses, and I prefer the one sold right here at Downtown Home & Garden. (Call us at (734) 662-8122 for availability.)
- Dust generously with powdered sugar.
- Refrigerate any batter not used right away.
- This recipe will make a LOT of cookies - feel free to cut it in half. Or mix a full batch of the core ingredients, divide it in half, and make a half-batch each of two different flavors.